HM Queen Elizabeth II was patron of the University of Westminster and its predecessor bodies, the Regent Street Polytechnic and Polytechnic of Central London, from June 1952 until her death in 2022.
The Queen’s first, unofficial, visit to the Regent Street Polytechnic took place in 1951 when the then Princess Elizabeth visited with the Earl and Countess Mountbatten of Burma for the Annual Council Meeting of the Royal Life Saving Society.
In her official capacity as Patron, the Queen visited the University on two occasions. In December 1995, she officially opened the Harrow Campus. In July 2004, she visited Regent Street to unveil a plaque in honour of the University receiving the Queen’s Award for Enterprise for International Trade.
HRH Prince Philip also visited the University in 1958 and 1994.